Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sharing is Caring

Insanity --- Premix

I have been working on a few songs recently, and recorded this song on my iPhone as a basis for a new song. I tend to use MIDI data over live recordings when making a song because it's easier to edit, and because I don't have a compressor/studio mic, and as you can tell, the tools I have to record with are essentially my iPhone 4 and Macbook Pro. However, I'd like to start recording more live performances for work, because MIDI input is very tiresome. Some thoughts about the song:
-I have yet to write lyrics. All I have so far are for the fourth repetition of the melody in the first verse, and the chorus.
"This Reality it worries me, this must be insanity, I must be insane"
"This must be, Insanity"
-I started work on this a few months ago, never really expanding on it. I had the chorus and the first verse down, but had some ideas about the rest of the song. I wanted the song, as it goes on, to start sounding more confusing and chaotic, while still following the same traditional song format. I had the idea that this song begins with a standard structure, but as the song progresses, that structure erodes away. I finally sat down and finished it a few days ago.
-I may want this song eventually recorded on an organ. I want it to have a very psychedelic feel. I want minimal percussion during the verses, but I may have the percussion either build throughout the song, or become more intense during the chorus and bridge.
-The pause in the first melody in the second verse was intentional. The mess-up at 3:03 was not.
-I plan on adding a lot of short modulated delay effects to this, and maybe some supporting synths, especially at 2:42-3:04.
-I utilized heavy pedal use in this song. When I record it again, I may record it without using the pedal, and instead just use heavier delays.
-The chorus is my favorite part. The chord progression throughout the entire song is the same four chords. However, the melody in the chorus uses five chords, following the pattern 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 1st, 2nd 3rd 4th 1st 2nd, 3rd 4th 1st 2nd 3rd, 4th 1st 2nd 3rd 4th. During the chorus, I progressively hit the notes more intensely and use more pedal.
-Speaking of intensity, the intensity with which I hit the notes varies wildly. It's tough to hear because of how I recorded it (Really sloppily), but as the song progresses, the intensity with which I hit each note and chord begins to vary more and more, until the end (Around 4:00), where I try to give the effect of the intensity building on top of itself until it drowns itself out with full pedal, although playing the notes softly.
-I originally started making the song in the key of B, but as it developed, I began ignoring the rules, and just playing what sounded good.

No comments:

Post a Comment